Lewisville-Clemmons Chamber of Commerce
September 10, 2013
Jorge Vidal opened the September general meeting and welcomed chamber members and guests.
New chamber members were introduced. They are: Shannon Reavis with Clemmons Family Dental; Scott Hanes and Amber Boyles with Bermuda Village Retirement Community, Ed Simmons with Neo Media and Chris Hudson with Hudson Video and Stage Productions.
Jorge mentioned to the guests that the chamber phone system is still not working. The chamber is working to fix this problem as soon as possible.
Next Jorge spoke about the following:
Upcoming Board Elections – 2014 Board Elections will be coming up in November. We will present the slate of officers at the October meeting. If you are interested in being on the 2014 Board, please get in touch with Ginny. Board descriptions are listed on the chamber website under the tab Opportunities.
Member Directory for 2013 on Chamber Website – we will not do a printed directory. Member information can be found on the website. E-mail Ginny if you would like to make a correction.
October Chamber Meeting – Member/Guest – ask all members that attend to please bring a non-member guest. Please provide the name and business of the guest for Ginny.
RSVP Deadline for Chamber Meetings – please remember that the RSVP deadline is 12:00 pm on Friday before the meeting.
Membership Due Increase effective November 1, 2013 – Starting with November billing cycle, regular membership will increase to $150 and non-profits to $75. You will receive an invoice during your renewal month.
Joanna Lyall with Wake Forest Baptist Health spoke briefly about the new Davie Medical Center open house and community event. It will be held on Saturday, October 12, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
A motion was made by Jody Peske to accept the minutes from the August meeting. Paul Johnson seconded the motion. All chamber members agreed and the minutes were approved.
Jorge introduced Kyle Agha with New Town Bistro & Bar. They are located on Jonestown Road. Please visit their website for more information at: www.newtownbistro.com.
Next, door prizes were handed out.
Jorge then introduced Mayor Pugh of Lewisville. He informed the members and guests about what is currently happening in Lewisville. Some highlights are:
- 2013 Town Council Elections – There are six council members that have two year terms. They can be a council member for four consecutive terms (term limits).
- There are seven candidates vying for six council positions.
- Lewisville has seen an eight percent loss in property value.
- There was an approved balanced budget of $3,858,030.
- Lewisville has a healthy fund balance.
- Lewisville is currently working on several capital projects.
- They are going to revisit and update plans for downtown growth and development.
Next, Jorge thanked Mayor Pugh and then introduced Mayor Bost of Clemmons. He spoke about what is currently happening in Clemmons. Some highlights are:
- Budget is $5,391,985.
- Savings account is approaching $7.4 million with unrestricted of $4.5 million.
- Clemmons has attracted considerable grant opportunities.
- The Community Garden is now full with a waiting list this year.
- The Farmer’s Market collaborative with Tanglewood Park is to be located just beside the Dog Park. They are looking for committee members now.
- The Muddy River Arts Association is polling residents about the arts in Clemmons.
- The traffic signal design at Allegacy/Town Center has been completed and will be installed in preparation of the growth in Village Point.
- A roundabout at Peace Haven and Harper road will begin soon.
- Engineering is complete for the Village Point Greenway, a public/private initiative.
- In January dialogue will begin regarding a new library with Village of Clemmons participation anticipated in the acquisition of the site.
Next, there was a question and answer session.
Jorge thanked Mayor Pugh and Mayor Bost for their presentations.
Mike Bailey and Gayle Tuch spoke about the Educational Workshop on September 19th at the Broyhill Office Suites. It is being presented by Ana Tampanna and is free to chamber members.
Meeting was adjourned.
Next meeting will be October 8, 2013.
Thank you to our Sponsor and Corporate Members
Across the Horizons – Bermuda Village Retirement Community – Broyhill Office Suites – Clemmons Courier – Costco – Dickson Interactive – Ds2 Creative – East Coast Wings and Grill – First Community Bank – Flex Pay Payroll Services – Forsyth Country Day School – Hayworth Miller Funeral Home – Novant Health – Piedmont Triad Computer Consulting – SixFour Web Design – The Law Offices of Timothy Wellborn – The Portrait Gallery – Vienna Village Assisted Living – Wake Forest Baptist Health – Wells Fargo – Winston Salem Journal/Journal West