Lewisville-Clemmons Chamber of Commerce
August 13, 2013
Jody Peske opened the August general meeting and welcomed chamber members and guests.
New chamber members were introduced. They are: Shannon Hodge and Woody Shoemaker with Home Instead Senior Care and Maria Capparelli with East Coast Wings. East Coast Wings will have a Grand Opening event on August 15, 2013.
A motion was made by Dana Bryson to accept the minutes from the July meeting. Brad Hunter seconded the motion. All chamber members agreed and the minutes were approved.
Jody introduced Lori Harvey with Dine by Design. Dine by Design is a full service catering company. Please visit their website for more information www.DinebyDesign.net.
Next, Jody mentioned to the chamber members that at the September meeting the speakers will be Mayor Bost of Clemmons and Mayor Pugh of Lewisville. She then asked members to bring a guest to the September meeting. Jody asked the chamber members to become more involved and to find out what is happening in our community.
John Golden, VP of Networking, gave a report on the two Leads Groups the chamber has. They are Community Connections Leads Group meeting on Wednesdays at 8:45 am and Power Packed Coffee Connections Network Group meeting on Thursdays at 8:30 am. He said this is a benefit of being a chamber member. He is also looking for speakers to present to the Leads Groups. The Community Connections Network Group volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House of Winston Salem on August 12th.
Jody then introduced Suzy Fielders with Across the Horizons. She gave a presentation on Social Media…How to make the most of this marketing platform. Some highlights are:
- Why to use Social Media: audience, creative outlet, integrate, word of mouth, free, and Search Engine Optimization. You can also reach a large audience with little effort. You can incorporate it into all levels of your business.
- Facebook pros: biggest social media network (most popular), unlimited creative options, event promotion, social media campaigns/gain followers. Cons: time consuming. When using Facebook you should post weekly, daily is best.
- LinkedIn pros: ideal for reaching out to business owners, network building, applications like SlideShare. Cons: profiles not as aesthetic (pretty).
- Pinterest pros: great to showcase products and services with photography, get creative ideas from others. Cons: easy to get caught up on/spend too much time on. Pinterest is great for restaurants
- YouTube pros: one of the best platforms to post videos, easy to share video formats (integration). Cons: only for videos.
- Twitter pros: quick/short posts (less time spent), good for announcing promos and specials. Cons: less focused network following.
- Google+ pros: since part of Google it gives the best SEO boost, fastest growing Social Media site, and good for network/lead building. Cons: more complex/less user friendly.
- Instagram pros: another platform to portray photography, good for contests. Cons: not quite as well known as the other Social Media outlets (but growing).
Next, Across the Horizons had a door prize drawing for a free consultation. The winner was Blake Johnson with Triad Electric.
Jody thanked Suzy for her presentation.
Next, Dana Bryson, VP of Economic Development gave a presentation on the economic development in this area. Her information can be found on our website at: www.lewisville-clemmons.com. Please look under the tab News/Chamber News.
Jody mentioned to the chamber members that board elections are coming up in October. Descriptions of board positions will be posted on the website.
Jody told chamber members that the chamber will not be doing a directory in 2013. A current and up-to-date listing of chamber members is available on the website. If chamber members have any changes to their listing, please e-mail Ginny Chase with the changes.
Next, chamber members were told about Ana Tampanna with The Connecting Force presenting a workshop on September 19th. Look for more information via e-mail or the chamber website.
One minute commercials were made by:
- Kelly Rupocinski with Costco
- Woody Shoemaker with Home Instead Senior Care
- Keela Johnson with Forsyth Magazines
- Claudia Page with The Portrait Gallery
Next, door prizes were handed out. Then introductions were made by chamber members.
Meeting was adjourned.
Next meeting will be September 10, 2013.
Thank you to our Sponsor and Corporate Members
Across the Horizons – Broyhill Office Suites – Clemmons Courier – Comtech Solutions – Costco – Dickson Interactive – Ds2 Creative – East Coast Wings and Grill – First Community Bank – Flex Pay Payroll Services – Forsyth Country Day School – Hayworth Miller Funeral Home – Novant Health – Piedmont Triad Computer Consulting – SixFour Web Design – The Law Offices of Timothy Wellborn – The Portrait Gallery – Vienna Village Assisted Living – Wake Forest Baptist Health – Wells Fargo – Winston Salem Journal/Journal West