Lewisville-Clemmons Chamber of Commerce
December 11, 2012
Jody opened the December General Meeting and welcomed everyone. She then welcomed new chamber member, BE Enterprises.
Next, a motion was made by Brad Hunter to accept the minutes from the November meeting. Will Wilkins seconded. All chamber members agreed.
Jody then spoke briefly about the chamber website being worked on. She said we are hoping to have it up and working soon.
Jody then introduced Lauren Davis with Make-a-Wish Foundation who gave a presentation on the following:
- Headquarters located in Charlotte
- Mission is to enhance the human experience and grant a wish of the child
- Foundation started by a 7 year old boy that wanted to be a policeman
- Four different wishes are: be, have, meet, go
- Disney World is the most requested “wish” – children get VIP treatment there
- Receive 342 wish requests each year, 217 wishes are granted
- Age for wishes to be granted are 2 ½ – 18 years old
- Children have a life threatening illness
- Wish granters are volunteers – they need wish granters
- Each wish cost approximately $6000
- Each chapter is individual, money donated in North Carolina, stays in North Carolina
- Starting a Kids for Kids – kids can hold fundraisers to help Make-a-Wish kids
Next, Lori Shaver with Mac and Nelli’s thanked everyone for coming to the meeting.
Jody then spoke briefly about a new format possibly coming to the chamber meetings in the coming year. She also talked about the Welcome Bag program and the $50 fee associated with it is to pay for the bags used. It is a great way to introduce your business to a new resident.
Claudia Page next talked about the Tanglewood Dog Park. A donation of $1000 was presented to the Tanglewood Dog Park committee on behalf of the chamber. The committee started raising money in 2009 and in January 2013 construction on the Tanglewood Dog Park will begin. A brick with the name Lewisville Clemmons Chamber of Commerce will be made for our donation. Ric Wolff with the Dog Park committee thanked everyone for the donation.
Jorge Vidal presented the Annual Membership Awards next. The following awards were given out:
- Member of the Year – Wake Forest Baptist Health
- Community Service Awards : Joanna Lyall, Brad Hunter, and Claudia Page
- Leadership Award – Jody Peske
Jody then thanked the 2012 chamber board and introduced Jorge Vidal as the 2013 chamber chairman and Joanna Lyall as the vice chairperson.
One Minute Commercials were made by the following businesses:
- Dana Bryson – Village Inn and Event Center
- Tom Luebchow – AFLAC – spoke on behalf of Goodwill Industries
- Tina Stearns – Hospice and Palliative Care Center
- Amy Gardner – Lindsay and Gardner – spoke on behalf of Toys for Tots
- Britt Perkins – Lucky Dog Sports and Collectibles
- Chuck Houska – Rotary Club
- Sarah Olsen – The Meadowbrook House
Jody then handed out door prizes and introductions were made by meeting attendees.
Meeting was adjourned.
Next meeting will be January 8, 2013.